Re: [OM] Various Questions (Part 2)

Subject: Re: [OM] Various Questions (Part 2)
From: PCA Cala <PCACala@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 02:42:56 EST
Hi John:

>  What do expiration dates on film really mean (both pro and non-pro film)?
>  What happens after the date?

They aren't a magical date.  Film progressively looses speed and color shifts
with age.  That rate of change is slowed with refrigeration and essentially
arrested with freezing.

>  What's the difference between UV and Haze and Skylight filters (Color and
>  B&W)?

Haze filter have a noticable warming effect, Skylight a slight warming effect,
and UV no warming effect.  All block UV radiation, but then so does one of the
layers in the film emulsion, so I don't see the need to sell UV filters at
all!  (Other than more profit to the dealer).

>  How can one employ fill-in flash with either the T-32 or F280 flash?

Determine it manually based on the ambient light, the T-32 power setting and
filter one might use, the neutral density filter on the lens one might use,
the film speed and the shutter speed (1/60th or less).

>  I read about a solution for the OM-1 battery problem; what is the fix?
>  Wein batteries or is there a suitable part?

I use the MR-9 battery adapter from C.R.I.S. at:
http://www.criscam.com/
Their shipping charge is outrageous, though!  Once that adapter is in, you can
buy batteries from most any retailer stocking camera batteries.

>  I have extension tubes that will allow my 50mm f1.8 to go to 1:1.  How
>  sharp can I expect this set-up to be in the 1:2 to 1:1 range?

Probably horrid, although I have to admit I haven't tried it.  It is one of
the least favorable options listed the "The Olympus Way."  Only by using the
f/1.4 or f/1.2 lenses would you get worse.

>  I was considering the 90mm f2 macro for close-ups (mostly flowers).  Is
>  this suitable for making copy slides?  How about on a copy stand?  Or
>  should I use the 50mm f1.8 with tubes?

I'll say it's too long for a copy stand.  I've sometimes been hard pressed to
get the subject in with a 50 mm macro using a copy stand.  I go with a 50 mm
f/3.5 or f/2.0 for botanical photography up to 1:2, and a 80 mm f/4.0 for 1:1
work, both with flower parts and slide duplication.  The latter lens is
fantastic for duplicating.

>  What is the least expensive, best (sharpest) method for making slide
>  copies?

In many cases to send them off to a lab!

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV