Re: [OM] Various Questions (Part 2)

Subject: Re: [OM] Various Questions (Part 2)
From: PCA Cala <PCACala@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 15:58:08 EST
Hi again J. Williams:

> I looked back in the review of the 90mm macro in  Modern Photography
> (8/87) and it appears to be decent but reviews of the Tokina 90mm f2.5
> macro (MP 6/89) seem to be much better.  Mostly excellent ratings versus
> good ratings at the various apertures.  Any opinions?  Did they change the
> test method?

They did at about that time, which might account for the differences in
qualitative wording.  You shouldn't be looking at the words but rather the
numbers!  And keep in mind these tests are based on a single production
sample.  Besides testing in the center, the Modern Photo tests looked at
performance in the corners - hardly the place most of us put critical subject
matter.  So take test with a grain of salt and try to evaluate the results of
different testing methods before drawing conclusions.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV