Re: [OM] Various Questions (part 1)

Subject: Re: [OM] Various Questions (part 1)
From: "John Petrush" <jpetrush@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 22:18:54 -0500
J. Williams <williams@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>I am thinking of using the 300mm with the 2x for photographing the next
>Total Solar Eclipse to get a bigger image.  Any concerns?

I get poor results with a 2X TC with my 300mm.  I'd be pleased to negotiate
a trade  <g>.

>Would I get better images with a portable refractor like the Pronto by
Televue?

The Pronto, with its greater focal length, will give you a larger image in
the 35mm frame.  It is a fine instrument and I have only praise for it,
within its design limitations.  It will so solar work to an exceptionally
high level.

>How about recommended film and exposures for the various phases of a solar
>eclipse?  How to maximize exposure settings in a few minutes?

An ISO 100 (+/-) speed film is prefered.  Slide/negative/B&W is a personal
matter of choice.  For partial coverage, 1/500 sec works well at f/8.  As
totality progresses, increase exposure time to a max of 1/4 to 1/2 sec at
totality.  Practice with a full sun to get a benchmark with your specific
film/lens/filter combination.

>I am thinking about getting the Quartz Intervalometer to use with my winder
2
>and an OM-4t.  Opinions?

Nice, but not necessary.  A momentary switch connected to the Winder 2 is
all you need.

<little snip>

>I find the 300mm hard to focus at infinity (since it focuses past
>infinity) with the 1-10 grid screen.  Any recommendations for a better
>screen to use?

I like the Beattie grid interscreen.  Very bright.  The newer 2-13 is also a
good choice.

John P