Re: [OM] Paul Van T.

Subject: Re: [OM] Paul Van T.
From: "John Austin" <j_austin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 23:36:34 -0800
>Gary Reese wrote:

>We also left the door open for Paul when someone quoted Wall Street Camera
>and it turned out to be overpriced on the tripod collar.

As the one that quoted the Wall Street ad, I feel compelled to respond. I
quoted the price in response to a request from Paul Haigney asking if anyone
knew where he could obtain a tripod collar. Now I'm new to the list, but I
assumed that such a response could be from an individual wanting to sell or
about where to find one, albeit commercially if necessary. As a matter of
fact, I spent a good thirty or forty minutes searching the web looking for
the Wall Street Camera ad. I knew I had seen an ad for a collar in the past,
as I spend a good deal of time searching the web for equipment. I just
didn't remember where. I'm not complaining about my time. I was glad to do
it because I knew Paul Haigney, or I hope any other list member, would help
me out if they could. The information I passed on to Paul was "educational".
It educated him to where he could find a collar. The information that PvT
contributed about the collar was also "educational". It educated Paul about
where he could find a collar even cheaper. Why was it OK for me to point out
where the collar could be obtained, but not OK for PvT to point out where it
could be obtained at half the price?

Perhaps I presume here. Maybe I also was in error. Being new, I thought the
purpose of the list was to pass on information (education). Does it matter
where that information comes from and even more important, does it matter if
the information is about items for sale? Plenty of people have bought and
sold things on the list in the four or so months I've been here. No one has
objected. And I think this is how it should be. As far as a great many
dealers flocking to the list with advertisements, I have only seen John H.
and Pvt advertise here, and I had no problem with either. Where to buy and
what things should cost can also be educational. For example, it was good to
know that PvT had the rings for $20.00. I will probably be in the market in
the not too distant future for a 300mm f4.5. Now I (and Paul) know where to
get the ring at a good price.

I still don't understand what this is all about. Is it because Pvt offers
items for sale on the list, or because he's a commercial enterprise? Do I,
or any other list member, do something wrong by listing where an item can be
found? Tell me? That's all PvT was doing. So what if it's his own store? A
good price is a good price. I think Pvt would have been very remiss if he
had allowed Paul Haigney to pay double the price. PvT was doing what any
good list member would have done. What I was trying to do. He tried to help.
If he makes a buck, what's the big deal. Somebody's going to make it. I
would rather see a list member make a buck than a stranger. When my camera
needs repair, I will go to John H. for the same reason.

Regards,
John Austin
Oakland, CA