[OM] Back from Sonora/Mojave

Subject: [OM] Back from Sonora/Mojave
From: "Ulf Westerberg" <ulf.westerberg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 11:43:40 +0200
Hi all

I'm back from my Arizona/California trip. It seems I managed to arrive at
the peak of flowering in Organ Pipe Cactus NM, and I must say that this
really is a place to take out your OM equipment. These hills covered with
golden Mexican poppies, hundreds of cactus varieties and who only knows what
makes for one of the most stunning sights to be seen. I used all of my stuff
from 16 to 300 mm for different views, angles etc. Saguaro NP was less
spectacular with not at all as many wildflowers, but still as hunting as
ever.

Joshua Tree NP quickly became a favourite of ours. Flowering had begun to
peak in some elevations, and the fantastic rock formations together with
undisciplined Joshua Trees caught much of my attention. Here the 24/2.8 was
used extensively.

Some "statistics": Most used lenses in order were 35/2, 65-200/4, 50/3.5,
24/2.8, 300/4.5, 16/3.5. The 90/2 was left at home because of weight
considerations (something HAD to go), as I knew I was not to do any insects
the 50/3.5 worked out fine. Every piece of equipment worked flawlessly.

This was probably the last of five visits I've made to this region
(California, Arizona, Utah, Nevada) in as many years (all the times with
perfectly functioning OM-gear), now I have to sort out images and make
something of it all. Most certainly a slide-show of some kind, we'll see.
Expect to see those National Parks get even more crowded :-)

Unfortunately our home-trip was almost not very pleasant to say the least,
our connecting flight by America West from Phoenix to San Fransisco was
delayed and so we missed our KLM trans-atlantic. Missed reservations, wrong
boarding-cards etc, made us lucky to get home at all. Re-booked and 48 hours
(+10 jetlag) later we finally could land on Swedish soil.
How can a such a big, developed and otherwise very well organized country
have such a crappy domestic air-line system? Not only was our flight
delayed, more than half of the departures from both  Phoenix and San
Fransisco were! For a while I thought I was in China or somewhere.

Still the happy (but tired) shooter
Ulf Westerberg