Re: [OM] Paul Van T. (zero OM-content)

Subject: Re: [OM] Paul Van T. (zero OM-content)
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 1998 07:47:30 -0700
At 12:03 PM 4/2/98 +0200, Ulf Westerberg wrote:

[snip]

>Foxy wrote:
>>I agree with you John, but not all countries have freedom of speech.
>>Australia doesn't.
>>
>Huh???????????? What????????????? Can you explain?

Ulf;

Many democracies in the Western world do not guarantee an absolute freedom of
speech.  Canada (where I live) is an example -- there are Criminal Code
sanctions for what is referred to as "hate speech", and the Charter of Rights
and Freedoms has the infamous Section 1 (which limits rights granted by the
rest of the Charter if the government can demonstrate that such limits are
"reasonable") and the doubly infamous "opting-out clause" which allows
governments to explicitly declare that a piece of legislation they pass is
*not* subject to the "guarantees" of the Charter.

I'm assuming Australia is similar in this respect.

Zero OM content.  Sorry, folks.

Garth