Re: [OM] US air travel (zero Oly content)

Subject: Re: [OM] US air travel (zero Oly content)
From: "Ulf Westerberg" <ulf.westerberg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 11:44:49 +0200
Gary Schloss wrote:

>Ulf, flying into SF clearly has some inherent risks due to SF Bay Area
>weather patterns (fog!!), as well as runways layout at SFO. LAX would
>be a much better choice -- it's always open, has more runways, and more
>non-stop flights to/from the US. Besides, it's cheaper to fly to LA :-)

KLM has an extremely convenient connection via Amsterdam to SF. Starts 7 AM
in Malmoe, ends up 1.30 PM in SF (local times). And VERY cheap! You wouldn't
believe what I've paid for the ticket.

And Ken Norton wrote:
>America West is nicknamed "America's Worst".  I think they have the
>friendliest crew, second only to Southwest, but has screwed up my schedule
>and lost my luggage almost every time I've flown them.  Be thankful you
>missed the KLM flight--you luggage probably wouldn't have made it.

Thanks. I now know more what to avoid.
If you travel a lot it's of course impossible to avoid trouble, sooner or
later you'll end up in a situation as I did. In our case it was "mechanical
failure"  that caused the delay. America West paid our hotel and an evening
meal, they would not have done this had it been due to weather problems.

What fueled the confusion was the fact that whole of Europe had changed to
day-light savings time that weekend, USA is one week later with this. So
every international flight departed one hour earlier than usual. We
certainly weren't the only ones late for our flight, though for different
reasons.

To wrap up this thread, one of the most "memorable" sights aside from
Saguaros and Mexican poppies on this journey was the monitor at Phoenix
stating that more than half of the departures (all America West, Phoenix
seems to be their homebase) were delayed.

Anyway,  after some nights of good sleep I feel better about it all, I
reckon I was lucky to get home "only" 24 hours late, while trying to be
re-booked we initially got the message "were full all week".

Not (that desperately) trying to be an American
Ulf Westerberg