Re: [OM] OM darkroom (was OM Elegance)

Subject: Re: [OM] OM darkroom (was OM Elegance)
From: gma <gma@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 1998 09:44:35 -0800
John Petrush wrote:

> Chung, Stephen (D&B Telecom) <ChungS@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >I have also enrolled myself on a darkroom
> >course, because even at the local camera club there seems to be more
> >members who are more interested in digital darkroom than their own
> >traditional darkroom.
>
> I have learned each of us has a specialty or two - marco photo, wildlife,
> scenics, etc.  I've been curious how many OM photographers also pursue the
> "other side of photography" - the darkroom.  I'd like to hear from the list
> of those who process their own film and/or make prints.
>
> John P

John;

Add me to the darkroom user list.  I built a 5'x10' darkroom in my
garage about 4 years ago when I decided to get serious about printing.

I started with a Beseler 67 to allow me to print 35mm and 6x6 (I was
using a Mamiya TLR, along with Oly at the time.)  Later, I added a 4x5
Omega when I began using a 4x5 field camera.  I still use Oly too to
make slides for printing, but mainly for what the 4x5 won't do.

I haven't spent much time learning to print B&W, although I have a ton
of negatives begging to be printed.  Rather, I have put almost all my
effort into learning to print Cibachrome.  I use contrast reduction
masking techniques on 35 and large format slides with very good results.

I use a Jobo and an old Cap-40 for the processing.  Also, process film
in the Jobo.

My darkroom work is going to hit a discontinuity this month, as I'm
moving to a new house.  I'll have to build another darkroom there.  But,
we chose the house well.  It has a 1200 sq ft shop area attached to the
garage in which a darkroom, photo studio and metal shop (for my wife)
will fit rather well!  I'm looking forward to having some elbow room in
the darkroom finally.

So, yea, I'm hooked big time on darkroom work.  Be careful out there,
folks, or you also may wind up asking "But, where's the darkroom gonna
go" when you're looking for your next house!

george  :>)