Re: [OM] Autofocus 35-70 zoom

Subject: Re: [OM] Autofocus 35-70 zoom
From: Frank van Lindert <lindertv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 04 Apr 1998 20:46:23 GMT
On Sat, 04 Apr 1998 07:46:47 -0500, John Hermanson <omtech@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>I think the AF lens he's asking about is the motorized 35-70 that came
>out around the time of the OM-F.  It will work on any OM body (maybe
>even the OM-77 and 88).
>
>John

More than that, John: as long as you put batteries in it and press the
buttons it will even autofocus without any camera body attached! <g>

I have teached a few camera lessons to schoolchildren (8-11 years old)
quite some years back, and for that purpose I also used a very old
OM-1 without a mirror and without shutter curtains. I taped an old
focusing screen in the place of the film exposure area. For the
lessons I took the back off as well.
I taught the difference between AF and manual with this special lens
attached.
I couldn't think of anything more practical to show what auto-focus
is: just by pushing the button on the lens' side ... and voila, the
picture snapped into focus, upside down but very well recognizable of
course. A month ago I met one of those children (grown up young lady
now that 8 years have passed since) and she immediately reminded me of
that short course which had been the best practical physics lessons
she ever had, she said.

Good old Olympus deserved at least part of the compliment...

Frank.