Re: [OM] Paul Van T.

Subject: Re: [OM] Paul Van T.
From: "Rand E. Tomcala" <rtomcala@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 1998 13:41:54 -0700
Hi All,
  I have watched this last week or so with much dismay.  I normally
don't have much to say on such topics and tend to stay in the
background.  It has been said in the very recent past that this
newsgroup is among the most polite and considerate on the net, and
rightly so.  Recently, the comments of some bring to mind several words
- pompus, pushy, opinionated etc.  I guess that this just demonstrates
that there is a "bit of the beast" in all of us, no matter the exterior
trappings.
  I may be incorrect in my assumption. But, I thought that the list was
a wonderful place for people from around the world to get together and
share information on a common and much loved topic, the Olympus camera.
To me, this information is comprised of many parts.  They are technical,
technique, experiences, and yes, also commercial.  The commercial, the
where and how and how much, is also a part of this shared experience of
Olympus information.
  The 50mm lens thing a while back may have gone overly long for many.
Yet nobody showed their rear over that or many other things that took up
much bandwidth for the interest of only a couple of members.
  I thought it interesting that, after all the great pundits on the
group had declared the MD replacement covers dead, gone, and history.
That, when Paul offered a source (and at reasonable prices) that nobody
said "Great etc. we're glad we were wrong and thank You Paul".
  Several members hit the reply and don't catch the fact that it goes to
the group by default, and many times more than once.  Paul does it
probibly no more than they and he gets castagated for it.  If there is a
hidden agenda here, lets grow up, let it out and get our group back to
where we were before we digressed into childhood.  This is a great
group, not just a good group.  It is comprised of many talented
intellegent people with much experience.  It is to the good of everybody
here to be able to share that information (even commercial) freely to
everybody.  All parts of this information should be shared freely to
allow all of us to grow in this addiction called "OM".
  Yes, I do take run-on sentences to a new extreme.  I tend to do this
when I see something that giving so much enjoyment to so many,
threatened.  I guess I'll quit for now as my fingers are tired.
Rand E.