SV: [OM] OM4T in cold weather

Subject: SV: [OM] OM4T in cold weather
From: "Ulf Westerberg" <ulf.westerberg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 12:29:54 +0200

Marko Vrabec wrote:

>Dear fellow OManiacs,
>
>I will leave for Spitsbergen in a week and would like to know if anybody
>has experience and/or suggestions for using an OM4T in a temperature
>range from -10 to -30 Celsius (14 to -22 Farenheit)?

Marko,

Certainly don't wanna destroy your day, but...
I've used my OM4-s occasionally down to -20C and have not experienced any
problems, but as said, only occasionally. I've had a discussion on the net
regarding the OM4 with a photographer of north Sweden (he runs a photo store
and has long time experience with many camerasystems) where cold periods are
much longer, his experiences are that the batteries of the OM4(Ti) die out
quite quickly in cold weather. His only remark on a great camera, he says.

>I plan to take two camera bodies and many spare batteries. The likely
>problematic scenarios are:
>- bringing cameras from heated premises to the outside
>- carrying cameras with me on a daytrip or several days' trip in
>constant cold
>When outdoors, I could carry cameras in a pocket inside my protective
>clothing, but I suspect there would be condensation problems when I take
>them out, especially since I will likely sweat.
>Of course, spare batteries can be carried warm easily, but changing them
>in gust wind and using heavy gloves is not really trivial...

I'd try with keeping the camera cold and fresh batteries. And take the
hassle of changing to warm batteries when necessary. Keeping a warm camera
warm on a extended trip is very hard to do.

>Also, will there be problems with breaking of the film in the above
>mentioned temperature range?

As long as you don't use a winder/motor and wind firm and carefully, no,
won't happen.

>As a sidenote here I can mention that my friend, who is a renowned
>Himalaya climber, was using  N*k*n F801 succesfully and happily on his
>8000+m climbing expeditions. Therefore, I hope my little black wonders
>will not let me down either  :o)

Two Swedish photographers have made 29(!) expeditions to Arctica the last
years. They have been using Nikons, F4, F5, F90's. F90s did have some
problems in the cold, F4-F5 worked better. Seems as long as there's
sufficient battery power electronics on these modern monsters will work just
fine. Their technique was a cold camera, and one warm battery packet in your
jacket, change all the time. This is of course not very possible to do on a
OM, unfortunately.

IMO both the OM1 and OM3 excels everything else here, no need for anything,
really, just shoot.

Please tell how everything worked out

Ulf Westerberg