Re: [OM] Autofocus 35-70 zoom

Subject: Re: [OM] Autofocus 35-70 zoom
From: Frank van Lindert <lindertv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 1998 19:16:24 GMT
On Mon, 6 Apr 1998 09:11:04 -0400, VELUWEH@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>Frank wrote:
>
>>More than that, John: as long as you put batteries in it and press the
>>buttons it will even autofocus without any camera body attached! <g>
>

>Are there several different versions of this lens?
>Last year I traded my OM-10 (which was my first OM, btw) for an OM-30
>because I was interested in its in-focus capabilities. When I saw a
>matching 30-70 AF a few weeks later, I immediatedly bought it.
>It had a switch that could be put in off / auto / single / sequence /
>power focus mode, two power focus buttons, and a connector for the
>in-focus cord (this cord came with the lens). The single / sequence
>modes were for the winder or drive attached, with the cord.

Hallo Hans.

My lens is certainly the same, since only one type has been made. But
the main switch offers only 3 positions (apart from battery check and
off), i.e. single AF, sequence AF, and power focus.

>I hoped this camera / lens combination would serve me in low light
>conditions, when manual focusing can be troublesome, but unfortunatedly
>it didn't work. Indoors, it really needed lots of light. Besides I
>found the combination, specially with the winder, way too heavy and
>bulky, and decided I would stick with the OM pro-line (OM-1/2/3/4), so
>I traded it for an unused OM-mounted Angenieux 70-210 F3.5 (had to add
>some money to that, too - it costed 500 $).
>As far as I remember, this lens did not have any button that activated
>an auto focus mechanism; this could only be triggered by the OM-30's
>shutter release button, or the In-focus trigger cord connected to a
>winder (or drive). I think the lens worked together with the in-focus
>mechanism of the OM-30.
>Attached to something else than an OM-30, this lens would only have
>power focus: you could use the two PF buttons rather than the focusing
>ring, but you still had to decide on the focus - I never understood
>what advantages that would give you.
>Frank, did (does) your specimen have an extra button, or did I miss an
>operational mode (not that I'm sorry I traded it - I find more use for
>the Angenieux anyway)?

No, my lens has no more buttons than yours did. When you set the lens
main switch to 'single' any of the two focusing buttons will make the
lens autofocus, no matter what OM-body it may be attached to.

Frank van Lindert
Utrecht NL.