Re: [OM] OM4T in cold weather

Subject: Re: [OM] OM4T in cold weather
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 18:40:48 -0700

>>I plan to take two camera bodies and many spare batteries. The likely
>>problematic scenarios are:
>>- bringing cameras from heated premises to the outside
>>- carrying cameras with me on a daytrip or several days' trip in
>>constant cold
>

>In Antarctica, the problem wasn't taking the camera outside, it was bringing
>it inside. I could take it outside, take great pictures, no foggin, all
>great. Bring it inside and it fogged over for an hour or two. I was
>generally using an OM-1n, and the mercury battery never faltered. I just
>left it outside in the cold porch, or brought it in after 3-4 hours in the
>cold porch.
>
>The 2SP failed a lot because of batteries. Recently someone described a
>battery rig to keep the batteries in your shirt and power the 2SP, 3, 4
>series cameras. This would be a good item to have for your trip.
>
>Foxy

I had just the opposite experience on Manhattan in the winter. Went outside
the Museum of Modern Art to photograph the sculptures and my OM4Ti
viewfinder fogged up so badly I could not focus. I was able to save things
a little by estimating distance and setting on the scale that is on a
manual lens, but is not often on an autofocus lens.

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California
mailto:wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx