Re: [OM] focusing screens / with cross-hairs

Subject: Re: [OM] focusing screens / with cross-hairs
From: ONLYOLY BW <ONLYOLYBW@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 21:35:39 EDT
In a message dated 98-04-07 11:18:21 EDT,
Hans you write:
<< Even with the 20/3.5 head on the bellows at max. extension (12:1 macro)
 you will see an image using the 1-12,
 You're supposed to focus on the fresnel lens, using the cross-hairs to
 fix your eyes on the surface of the screen (and also to calibrate the
 viewfinder).
 The 1-11 is for "normal" macro work; it enables you to check the depth
 of field because it is matted.Hans >>

Hi Hans,
For those who do not have a copy of Shipman's 1987 Ed. I'll quote his
recommendation on how to use the crosshair.
"When both image and cross-hairs are in sharp focus,  the image is in focus in
the same plane as the cross-hairs.  You can varify focus by moving your eye
from side to side as you view the screen.  If the cross-hairs seem to move in
relation to the image, they are not in focus at the same plane.  Change focus
so there is no relative motion between cross-hairs and image.
I think ??, the reason the 1-12 has a very slight matt is to give correct
meter readings.  (Under notes of screen types " This is the only transparent
screen that gives correct meter readings in the viewfinder")
BW