Re: [OM] OM-2S and Vivitar 4600 Flash

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-2S and Vivitar 4600 Flash
From: "R. Lee Hawkins" <lhawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 1998 21:55:48 -0400
Cc: lhawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
In your message dated: Tue, 07 Apr 1998 20:39:25 CDT you write:
>Oly Shooters:
>
>Anybody have any experience with Vivitar flash and OM-2S? (I have the 4600
>but it probably doesn't matter which.)  Specifically, it comes with an
>Olympus dedicated module and should be capable of TTL flash in auto mode,
>but I can't confirm this from the literature that came with the module,
>which refers only to the OM-2 and OM-2N.

All Oly TTL works the same, except for the 4Ti/3Ti, and these are
backward compatible with T-type flashes.  You should be fine.

>Any reason not to assume that the module will give me TTL capability with
>the OM-2S?  I've fired it at a few different stops without film.  Seems to
>work, although I can't get the sufficient light indication at much past f4.
>Probably needs film as part of the TTL equation.

Exactly.  Film is not black, which your pressure plate is.  Without film
in the camera, you won't get the correct exposures, since the software
in the camera assumes the reflectivity of film.

Cheers,
--Lee