Re: [OM] Future OM

Subject: Re: [OM] Future OM
From: "John Austin" <j_austin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 10:03:11 -0700
>From: Richard Dale

>I know I seem to ask more questions than provide information (its all part
>of being a computer n*rd).
>In a consumer led capitalocracy what do we the loyal users of OM want out
>of a future serious (SLR) system.
>   Do we want a supported manual focus system ie development of the current
>   range, at least for a while
>   Do we want a new AF camera/lenses, is the Contax style AF/manual focus
>   lens compromise a possibility or is a completely new system the answer

Olympus could, if they WANTED to, build an OM-5/OM-6 that could easily match
the performance/interchangeability of the current Nikon F5. Nikon, in
building the F5 (as well as the N70 and N90), unlike Canon, with the EOS
series, has kept total compatibility with almost every Nikon lens they've
ever built. Bayonet on an AF lens, you get AF. Bayonet on an MF lens, either
new or twenty years old, and you get MF. It's that simple. Sure, with the
older lenses you lose some of the modern features, but the lenses are still
fully functional to the limit of their design capacity. Will Olympus ever
build such a camera? We can hope, can't we? I personally doubt it, but my
point is, it could be easily done.

Regards,
John Austin
Oakland, CA