Re: [OM] Weddings (no Oly-content)

Subject: Re: [OM] Weddings (no Oly-content)
From: "John Petrush" <jpetrush@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 19:36:51 -0400
Ulf,

Once upon a time when I believed I could make a living as a photographer, I
worked the wedding trade.  I learned fast it was an excellent way to stay
thin <g>.  However, I did acquire a few tricks of the trade.  What I learned
quickest is the technical part of photography is meaningless to the
customer; a wedding is a social event.  So, to that end I always made sure
to make acquaintence with the best man and the maid of honor.  These two
poeple generally know most of the people there, or know who it ask for you.
Use them extensively; they are your best assistants.  The other person to
meet with before the blessed event is the minister (priest, rabbi - whoever
is performing the ceremony) and fully understand his ground rules and
limits.  I once did a Catholic wedding and the priest not only allowed flash
during the service, he (very discretely) pointed the best vantage points to
shoot from......just behind and to the side of where he was standing.  Its a
personal thing and you need to be sensitive to it.

Make sure you get at least one shot of everyone there.  The last thing you
want to hear is the mother of the bride complain there are no photos of
great aunt Millie.  Your "assistants" are invaluable here.  For the formal
shots as well as the candids, be polite, but firm in getting it your way.
I've found it useful to let folks "goof off" for a shot or two, and in
exchange they will do anything you ask.  But don't let them go until you are
satisfied you got the shot you want.

Besides that, take at least two of everything, shoot more than you think is
enough and after the bride and groom leave the reception, have a drink or
two and enjoy the party :)

John P