[OM] SW US adventures

Subject: [OM] SW US adventures
From: PCA Cala <PCACala@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 05:42:24 EDT
Hi all:

I'm still on the road here in the SW US deserts.  Looks like I'm following
Ulf's route to a "T."  Spent the first leg in Joshua Tree NP and saw the best
blooms south of Cottonwood Spring.  Had the most fun with landscape shooting
on the Geology 4WD Road, where we continued down through Beedoo Canyon on the
Jeep trail. 49 Palms Oasis is a paradise, but alas, I didn't carry my camera
there.  I knew I had to get some work accomplished so I  purposely left it
behind.

Organ Pipe has some neat abandoned ranches and line camps, like Bates Well and
Pezo Neuvo.  Also a crumbling adobe house on the Darby Well Road south of Ajo
where I really shot up the film - esp. Agfa Scala with a 35 mm f/2.8 Zuiko.
Sunset photography along the Ajo Mountains Scenic Loop was a triple treat with
lots blooming AND moonrise concurrent with sunset.  I was perched atop my
Bronco shooting it with my 4x5 and had a SUV pass me and someone yell "8x10."
(They had just shot it with an 8x10).  There were 4x5's all along the road -
and one old guy shooting a chrome OM-1 or 2 and recording exposure and
location notes while his wife sat in the car. I said a nice word about OLY's
but he ignored me.

The peak density of poppies and owlclover and lupines were in grazed rangeland
immediately north of Kits Peak Observatory. Lee will die when he hears I
didn't take a single 35 mm shot of the observatory!  But the road up there is
a must drive.

On to Old Tucson and Saguro NP (west) tomorrow.  Favorite lens so far: the
35-70 f/3.5-4.5 Zuiko.

Gary Reese
in Tucson, AZ