[OM] Temporary Failure of Camera's Electronic Functions

Subject: [OM] Temporary Failure of Camera's Electronic Functions
From: Meg Caldwell Ryan <megryan@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 1998 10:45:38 -0400
I have a four-year-old Olympus IS-3 that I like very much and have come to
depend on.
However, on two different foreign trips, I've missed unique photo
opportunities because several of the camera's electronic functions failed.
In Martinique, the camera suddenly refused to focus and I couldn't depress
the shutter.  In New Zealand, the exposure compensation failed, followed by
the built-in flash, and finally the zoom function (even though I had just
installed fresh batteries).  In both cases, all the functions returned to
normal within a few hours, but the images I'd wanted to capture were long
gone by then.  Damp weather may have been a factor in one or both
situations, though I'd protected the camera as much as possible, short of
entirely suspending shooting.

My guess is that, like any intermittent malfunction, this one would be
difficult for a service person to diagnose and correct when the camera is
functioning normally.  I'd appreciate any suggestions as to how I can avoid
similar problems in the future, especially when I'm traveling far from
home.  I like to "travel light" and so prefer not to tote a second camera
as a backup.

Thanks in advance!

Meg Caldwell Ryan
Silver Spring, Maryland, USA