Re: [OM] Temporary Failure of Camera's Electronic Functions

Subject: Re: [OM] Temporary Failure of Camera's Electronic Functions
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 1998 21:47:54 -0500
At 10:45 AM 4/12/1998 -0400, you wrote:
>I have a four-year-old Olympus IS-3 that I like very much and have come to
>depend on.
>However, on two different foreign trips, I've missed unique photo
>opportunities because several of the camera's electronic functions failed.

--snip--

  Damp weather may have been a factor in one or both
>situations, though I'd protected the camera as much as possible, short of
>entirely suspending shooting.

Meg:

My brother and I recently spend about 7 hours in Carlsbad caverns, I with my
OM-1 and he with a Minolta Maxxum autoeverything. The longer I was down
there the more nervous I started to feel about our gear. I did fine and he
did fine as well.  I mentioned my concerns as we left the caves.  When we
hit the cooler, very windy air outside, he turned to take a picture of the
Carlsbad sign, and sure enough, he was locked up.  Once the camera warmed up
(or maybe dried out), all systems came back on line.

I suspect you were mugged by the same culprit.

FWIW, my Stylus Zoom is "weather resistant."  I don't really use it as a
backup -- don't use it much at all -- but I might consider some such animal
if I had your problem. It's extremely light and has, I think, an outstanding
lens for a P&S.  Just a thought.

Joel