Re: [OM] Fireworks

Subject: Re: [OM] Fireworks
From: Clive Warren <Clive.Warren@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 14:34:01 +0100
At 10:35 pm +1000 11/4/98, Terry and Tracey wrote:

>Tonight I photographed fireworks for basically the first time. I used the
>2SP with a 28mm f3.5. The body had 400 Sensia in it.
>
>Basically, I used the camera on auto, and dialled in underexposure between 0
>to 1 2/3 stops (depending upon the blackness). I dialed in in overexposure
>when there was heaps of light and smoke. I had to use the wide angle, as
>here we are only 30 to 50 meters from the fireworks. You have to dodge the
>little bits coming down.
>
>So I trusted the auto mode, as it is smarter than me. (But usually, I use
>only manual body).
>
>The question I ask is "Has anyone else had experience at a similar event?".
>Did I do right?
>
>Foxy

Hi Foxy,

You did right if you have the results you wanted.

There are some examples of fire photos on my web site - I use Gold 200 and
vary exposures during displays depending on amount of light - up to 6 stops
over.  It's a matter of gut feeling rather than technical reference with
this type of subject.  Slide film is very difficult to use for this type of
photography given the small exposure latitude and nature of the reciprocity
failure.

My advice - get back to the manual body and feel the force.

May the force be with you,

All the best,

              Clive   http://clive.bel-epa.com