Re: [OM] OLY ES 10 Scanner

Subject: Re: [OM] OLY ES 10 Scanner
From: Denton Taylor <denton@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 11:36:33 -0400

i think this is oly marketing at work again. it is just like the way they
started the IS series which is a successful design because it targeted a
certain segment of consumers and cornered it. i think the es-10 is aimed for
people exactly like us, not exactly professional and not exactly oozing with
dinero. but with enough sense to know what we need. i think this is aimed at
those internet scanners where the maximum resolutin really depends on the
monitors that are being used and not the scanner that is uploading the
image. you basically don't need those megapixel scanners for the internet
and i don't think you want those because it will eat up your webpage space
unless again you are willing to pay for the space. you want good compromise
and i think this is exactly what the ES-10 is. frankly, won't pay over $1000
or even $600 for a scanner for starters, but $489? hey, i want one and i can
actually even afford it at that price!!>>

Right, for web pages you only need a max res of 72dpi, but if you intend to
do anything for print you have to be able to do 200-300 dpi for the image
size you need. For a full-page image, you need at least 2400 pixels. That
doesn't even address color depth, etc.

I don't own a film scanner yet. When I need to digitize images for print or
web I've been getting them put on PhotoCD. If you do any publication work
as I used to you can charge the client for scans but not for your new toy!

IMHO it doesn't pay to buy a tool that is limited to web publishing. May as
well stick to PhotoCD or get a digital camera.

Regards,

Denton Taylor
Photogallery at www.dentontaylor.com