Re: [OM] Identifying a filter and how to use it

Subject: Re: [OM] Identifying a filter and how to use it
From: "Jim Terazawa" <jimt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 14:13:15 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: jimt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Jim Terazawa)
Dan,

I think Lars Bergquist gave you satisfactory answer.  However,
I am not sure how to identify that you have LINEAR or CIRCULAR
polarizor from your post.  I have two circular polarizors - one
by Hoya and other one by Kenko brands (both glasses are produced
by Hoya glass - which is a separate subject).  The reason I can
tell they are circular pol is that they are inscribed "PL-C" on
the rotating collar (also they came with little 'instruction
manual' such as explaining how to use "V" triangle marker on
the collar - sorry I don't have the manual with me).

Like Lars indicated, I normally do not use pol filter on wide
angle lenses - causes vignetting due to extra physical thickness
of the filter when added onto the lens.  Hoya recently (in past
4 months or so) introduced this 'Super MC PL' filter which
physical thickness is much less, hence less vignetting.

I use pol filter for not only to cut the glare, but also to
take advantage of wider aperature opening (sort of semi-ND
filter usage).

Regards,
Jim Terazawa