Re: [OM] OLY ES 10 Scanner

Subject: Re: [OM] OLY ES 10 Scanner
From: Kennedy <rkm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 04:02:58 +0100
In article , ONLYOLY BW <ONLYOLYBW@xxxxxxx> writes
>Hi Frank,
>I don't know about the new OLY scanner, but I got a Nikon internal Coolscan II
>Xmas before last.  At that time  I was told the two best were the Polaroid and
>the Nikon and the number one feature to look for was the amount of TIME it
>takes to scan the slide.
>BW

I also recently purchased a Nikon Coolscan II.  Quite impressed with the
scan quality, but I find it gives me - literally - a pain in the neck!
The software only supports portrait preview - it allows the image to be
mirrored or flipped, but NOT rotated!  Consequently, if most of your
negs and trannies are landscape format (like mine) you soon find
yourself walking around with your head tilted through 90deg!  Very
annoying since you have to do all of the colour/contrast optimisation in
preview mode since the Coolscan II has only an 8 bit a/d converter.
(The Super Coolscan has 12 bit a/d but is over double the price.)

Well that's my experience - good scanner, lousy software.  I find the
problem so bad that I would hesitate to recommend a Nikon scanner for
use in the lab, because the physical discomfort using it (even for short
periods) would almost certainly cause it to contravene the health and
safety at work legislation!  And I have emailed Nikon to tell them so!
I wonder if I should write to the government's health and safety
executive as well, and really stir it up for them?  :-)

Has this been a problem for you, and is the software in the new Olympus
scanner any better?

If it supports a rotatable preview I would trade my Nikon for it any day
- even if quality was sacrificed slightly, since the Nikon already
exceeds the resolution of 100ASA 35mm film.  Somehow I doubt that I
would need to worry about that last point though.
--
Kennedy
Python Philosophers         (replace 'nospam' with 'kennedym' when replying)