[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #227

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #227
From: "William T. Rankin" <wrankin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 19:04:14 -0400 (EDT)
[I've been off-list for a while due to dissertation work, so
fogive me if this has been rehashed before]

Olf:

> I overtook the camera and used it only for a couple of months
> until one cold evening (-15 C) the winding mechanism got stuck
> and eventually the whole camera got jammed. Now it was my turn
> to loose my patience. Since repair costs were equal to a good
> used OM2 I never fixed it.

Is this type of behavior common with the OM-2S?  Mine is in the
shop right now for the third time with what sounds like the same
problem.  I took out the camera during a winter camping
trip (temps ranging from 10-30F (-10 to 0 C) and the winding
mech totally jammed.  The shop replaced the complete gear
assembly, but it jammed up again this past winter (although I had
only shot a few rolls in it since I got it back for the shop).

This behavior is driving me mad because I don't carry a backup
body (didn't want to carry the weight) and so I have to haul
around a dead SLR for a week in my pack and don't get any
pictures of the trip.

Anyone else with with temp induced jamming?

It's due back from the shop any day now and I'm thinking of
putting it up on the auction block.  Anyone interested in a
used OM-2S w/ good electronics?

Anyone got a -2S w/ a bad circuit?

I love the camera, but can't deal with the aggravation.

Thanks,

-bill

bill rankin ...................................... philosopher/coffee-drinker
wrankin@xxxxxxxxxxx ........................................ doctoral wannabe
duke university dept. of electrical engr ......... scientific computing group

              Morale is Low. There is talk of mutiny.
     We dream of quitting an becoming lifeguards on "Baywatch."
                  Death to the pointy-haired one.