Re: [OM] Identifying a filter and how to use it

Subject: Re: [OM] Identifying a filter and how to use it
From: "Ian M. Stewart" <ims@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 23:07:48 +0100
Jim Terazawa wrote about: Identifying a filter and how to use it

<snip>
>.  The reason I can
> tell they are circular pol is that they are inscribed "PL-C" on
> the rotating collar (also they came with little 'instruction
> manual' such as explaining how to use "V" triangle marker on
> the collar - sorry I don't have the manual with me).

I don't understand this (perhaps because I don't yet have a
polarizing filter).  I thought that the idea of a 'circular'
polarizer was that there is no need to rotate the thing, and
therefore it can be screwed on to the front of a zoom or whatever?
If so, then why is there a triangle mark and instructions about
rotating it?

Sorry if I'm being dumb.

--

Ian  <IMS>
                  OM Tyro - please point my lens in the right direction.