Re: [OM] Identifying a filter and how to use it

Subject: Re: [OM] Identifying a filter and how to use it
From: ONLYOLY BW <ONLYOLYBW@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 02:02:59 EDT
In a message dated 98-04-16 18:17:00 EDT,
Ian you write:
<< I don't understand this (perhaps because I don't yet have a
 polarizing filter).  I thought that the idea of a 'circular'
 polarizer was that there is no need to rotate the thing, and
 therefore it can be screwed on to the front of a zoom or whatever?
 If so, then why is there a triangle mark and instructions about
 rotating it? Sorry if I'm being dumb. >>

Hi Ian.
No dumb quuestions here,  Well, we understand why Ken is asking some, but he
has good reasons..he is OLYLESS and it can be painful.

There are two basic types of Polarizing Filters we can use. 1) Linear and 2)
Circular.  Linear filters are OK to use on OM1 & OM2 bodies.  If you are using
OM4 or newer then you should use a Circular. This is because the the meter in
the newer style cameras do not give correct meter readings with Linear
filters.  Also, the Circular can be used with both the new OM4> and the older
OM1 & Om2 so it makes since to just buy a circular which can be used on all
bodies if needed.  If you only own an OM1 or 2 then you can save some $'s by
buying the linear.  Both polarizers are used in the same way, by rotating the
collar until you abtain the desired amount of polarization effect.
The markings on the collar are irrelevant in use as one just rotates the
collar 360 degrees + while looking through your veiwfinder for the desired
effects.
Hope this answered your questions.
BW
PS... I once asked someone what time it was?  This person spent 10 minutes
explaining how a watch worked!!  I just looked at him and walked away.  I
still did not know what time it was!