Re: [OM] Re: Coating, MC or Not

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Coating, MC or Not
From: Mikael von Numers <mnumers@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 09:07:24 -0700
Hi Chris and others concerned about OM-multicoating. I sent the
below comment to the OM-list about a month ago, but it is possible
that there was some delivery problems.

I have some additional information on the multicoating theme.
According to the book "The World of OM-systems" by Franz Pangerl
printed in 1975 all Zuikos are single coated except 18mm F3.5,
24 mm F2.0, 28 mm F2.0 and 35 mm F2.0, which are multicoated. This was
Olympus coating policy at that time: The coating treatment consists
of one layer in the case of standard lens constructions and of multi-
layer in the case of multi lens systems which require extra treatment
in order to suppress internal flare effects. As regards questions in
coating techniques, therefore, Olympus is guided entirely by the
demands of practice. Later all Zuikos were multicoated. The efficience
of the coating seems especially good in the 35 mm F2. Norman Goldberg
writes about this lens in PoP Photo (April 1986): The 35-mm F2 bears
the distinction of producing the lowest flare level of any lens we
have tested in recent history that I can recall.

Mikael