Re: [OM] OLY ES 10 Scanner

Subject: Re: [OM] OLY ES 10 Scanner
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 23:35:13 +0000
I have question about this rotation thing.  I have used an HP flat
bed scanner and you could scan using HPs software or you could scan
within an imaging software application called Photostyler - a scaled
down Photoshop.  Is it impossible to use the scan function within an
application to drive the Coolscan?  Have Nikon failed to provide
appropriate drivers?  If you could scan from within Photoshop you
would surely be able to do the rotation.

I have a question about scanning negatives.  I have allways presumed
you can scan a negative and convert the negative image into a
positive via software?  If this is so, I would presume the quality of
the scan would be better than a scan of a print made from the
negative - is this the case?  Would you also get an increase in range
of contrast compared with a print?

Giles

> I also recently purchased a Nikon Coolscan II.  Quite impressed with the
> scan quality, but I find it gives me - literally - a pain in the neck!
> The software only supports portrait preview - it allows the image to be
> mirrored or flipped, but NOT rotated!  Consequently, if most of your
> negs and trannies are landscape format (like mine) you soon find
> yourself walking around with your head tilted through 90deg!  Very

snip