Re: [OM] Identifying a filter and how to use it

Subject: Re: [OM] Identifying a filter and how to use it
From: Kennedy <rkm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 1998 04:40:34 +0100
In article , Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxx> writes

>Thank you both. This is the first intelligible explanation of a circular
>polarizer I have ever seen. Actually the name seems misleading, but I
>suppose it is easier than something like a "rotated split phase polarizer".

Thanks Winsor - I did once consider a teaching career, but it didn't pay
enough.

The name derives from the formation of Lissajous figures - the displays
that always seem to be shown on oscilloscopes on old science fiction
films!  :-)  A circle is formed by two orthogonal sine waves of equal
amplitude 90deg out of phase.  This is essentially what the circular
polarises outputs if either the E or the H fields opf the light are
considered.  If the phase difference is changed from 90deg, it becomes
elliptical, and if it is 0deg or 180deg then it becomes linear again.
--
Kennedy
Python Philosophers         (replace 'nospam' with 'kennedym' when replying)