Re: [OM] close-focusing performance: 28/2.0 or 28/2.8?

Subject: Re: [OM] close-focusing performance: 28/2.0 or 28/2.8?
From: ONLYOLY BW <ONLYOLYBW@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 1998 01:09:50 EDT

<< I would use the 28 mm zuiko lens with extension tubes to produces images
 with magnification ratio greater than 1:10. What I'm looking for is good
 results with the lens fully stopped-down, light-gathering power is not
 so much of a concern. The 28/2.0 lens with its close correction
 mechanism, is it worth it? Or would the cheaper 28/2.8 lens do the job?
 Regards,Teemu >>
Snip!
Hi Teemu,
Wide angle lens are not normally used with extension tubes because of the very
short working distance. They are sometimes reversed for very high
magnification.  If you want to get to around 0.5x mag or less you will be
better off with a longer focal length ie. 50mm.  If you are going to use the
28mm as is for close up, then I would choose the f2.0 because it does have
close focus correction.  Maybe if you can shoot both lens on a roll of film
and compare them side by side before you spend the extra $'s for the f2.0.
BW