[OM] San Jose Camera Show: Where is Gary Schloss et al?

Subject: [OM] San Jose Camera Show: Where is Gary Schloss et al?
From: Andre Goforth <goforth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 1998 23:30:21 -0700
Fellow Olympiads,

I made the mad dash in the door as close to 9 AM as I could muster to shop
the Camera Show in San Jose at the Santa Clara Fairgrounds and found a
scroungy cardboard box with dusty, scroungy looking Oly gear. One hunmongus
Soligar, one 35 shift, one OM 2 not working, one OM1n black + winder 2, and
some other stuff. It looked like it had been in someone's attic for a long
time. $650.  I passed. Not much else. Seems the pickens getting slimmer and
slimmer. Went back to bargain with the dude on his gear. It was all or
nothing. But, someone had sucked it all up. As I was shopping at another
table and looking at a very very clean OM1N, a figure with a large camera
bag sided up next to me and watched.  Seemed to know that it was that weird
Oly stuff...keen eye. I thought I better quite dicking around 'cz the meter
does not seem to work an' buy it else this gent was going to go for it. I
turned to jest with the man and it was the Olympus Guy, Paul  VanTyl!  He
was very helpful. He loaned me a test battery and the meter worked and I
bought one dream camera. I had traded my OM1N months ago in on a OM4T and
have started to miss it badly. As Gary Schloss said Paul is one physically
fit  Texan, who had  his lovely wife along on this trip. It turned out it
was Paul who bought the cardboard box with all the Oly goodies in it.
Cleaned up & fixed up the gear will be great.

Any other Olympiads at this show? Would like to hear what you saw and
bought. I had a 3 hour time constraint.  Heard that some European buyers
had gone through the show and bought the interesting Oly gear.

Andre

San Carlos, CA