Re: [OM] 100/2.8 + lens mount problem

Subject: Re: [OM] 100/2.8 + lens mount problem
From: "Ulf Westerberg" <ulf.westerberg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 13:50:44 +0200
jocke1s@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I really like this list and am impressed of all the
>knowledge possed by all of you.
>The new gallery is very nice too :)
>
>First I would like to ask some advice about the 100/2.8
>and the importance of multicoating. I have been looking
>at 4 different 100/2.8 the last week and they all fall
>in the price range of 1000-1500 SKR (approx 125-190 USD).
>2 of them were in very nice condition with no faults
>at all (at least not what I could detect).
>None of them were marked MC and I couldn't see any green
>reflections in them. I compared the reflection to 3
>other MC marked lenses (24 50 135) and they all showed
>a distinct green reflection while the 100/2.8 were much
>alike (blue,purple) but without any green in it.
>The lens I picked out as the "best" one had serial number 160xxx.
Unfortunately I can't exactly remember
>how the focal length and f-stop were marked on the
>front ring.
>
>So any ideas about if it is multicoated? Does it matter?
>Is the price right? (Perhaps any of the Swedish members
>of the list would like to enlighten me here?)

Multicoating has been discussed several times on this list and the general
conclusion seems to be that the difference of older, single-coated lenses
versus newer MC-versions is exaggerated, except for wide-angle lenses where
multi-coating is more important. I don't have any experience of the 100/2.8,
so I'll leave it to others to have further opinions on this. I've seen
several for sale, (one here in Malmo, mail me privately if you're
interested, might be cheap, and yes, it's single-coated), though, 1000-1500
SKR seems OK, not a bargain, 1500 a bit on the high side.

Ulf Westerberg