[OM] polarizer vignetting & San Jose Camera fair

Subject: [OM] polarizer vignetting & San Jose Camera fair
From: "Dr. Matthew J. Cordery" <cordery1@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 09:30:37 -0700
I know this sounds like a bit of a kluge but I picked up a 62 mm B+W
cicular polarizer from this place in Australia that was having a clearance
sale on
such things because they couldn't sell them at their regular price. They are
absolutely gorgeous filters and I use mine on my 24 mm without any
noticeable problems with vignetting. In fact, I haven't noticed a problem
on any
lens. It also keeps me from having different filters for different lenses.

The San Jose Camera Fair was pretty much a bust from the perspective of an
Oly user. Some people  have interesting stock 'back home' but didn't bring
anything to the show! I mean, why bring your stock of OM-1's (someone was
trying to sell a very grotty looking one for $250!) wit 50/1.8s when you
could bring more interesting lenese that you might actually sell. For example,
Silvio had things like a 180/2.8 and a 24mm shift listed in Shutterbug. Why
didn't he bring them!?  I can understand, though, since much of the market
is driven by Nikon and Canon these days. Still, I wouldn't want to lug one
of their modern monsters through the mountains and possibly drop it! Oops!
There goes a few grand bouncing off the cliff on it's way down.... Besides,
I'll never give up my spot meter! Oh, there *was* some guy there selling a
400/6.3 for about a
grand but I'm not lugging that monster through the mountains either....
On another point, the guy with the 35 shift lens wasn't willing to part with it
unless you bought everything else as well. Seems kind of like a silly
policy when you are dealing with used camera gear. I think rather than
making a possible sale he pushed away a lot of people who might have bought
one or two items. Actually, even if I was interested in the whole set I
wouldn't have bought it from this guy because he had a lot of attitude. I
hardly picked up the 35 shift when he informed me of the condition of sale
(I should say 'barked').
Though unfruitful from an Oly users point of view, it was nice to get out
and see some interesting gizmos and talk to people. I did see PvT running
about
but never tracked him down after I realized who he was. I hope his trip there
wasn't wasted.

Still, the weekend wasn't a complete bust. Had nice walk in the Oakland Hills
doing some film tests and messing about with some extension tubes. I never
thought I'd be interested in macro work but it was kind of fun.

Dr. Matthew J. Cordery                     cordery1@xxxxxxxx
Environmental Computer Applications Div.   (510) 423-6858
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
L206
P.O. Box 808
Livermore, CA 94550

A bad day in the mountains is better than a good day at work.