Re: [OM] Olympus and our Craft

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus and our Craft
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 17:37:27 -0700
>>Of course I had to read and follow the film instructions, but it was
>>worth it. I ended up learning a lot about 'old sol', the illuminator of
>>800f all photographs. And my manual flash never needs a meter. Night
>>photography seems to be an informed trial and error proposition at the
>>best of times.
>

>Much of the light metering wizardry on today's most modern cameras exists
>solely because nobody ever reads those film boxes.  I too have experienced
>great success by guestimating exposures based on the film box and zone
>focusing.
>
>How many of the settings and features in the new F5 were created just for
>the DUH factor?  I don't need any color metering matrix with 100,000 image
>comparision memory to tell me how to expose a daylight picture.  Throw a
>flash into it though, and sure, I'll take the advancements.
>
>Ken.

Gee, guesstimating exposure is great if you always take pictures under
average lighting conditions, but I certainly thankful for light meters 20
minutes before sunrise, under dense cloud covers in the Pacific Northwest
or in Europe, or cathedral statuary lit by indirect light from windows or
stained glass 30 or 40 feet above. With no meter, I guess it is bracket,
bracket, bracket?

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California
mailto:wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx