Re: [OM] Tripods

Subject: Re: [OM] Tripods
From: "Ulf Westerberg" <ulf.westerberg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 11:12:31 +0200

Ted Slotwinski wrote:

>Greetings all,
>
>I haven't seen this topic covered much, so I though to ask the
>experts.    I am continuing to learn to use my OM cameras and lenses but
>I want to go to the next level.    With the weather warming up and the
>rains subsiding ( at least in California ),  I will be able to do some
>hiking and camping and attempt to take some nice outdoor photos (
>wildlife, scenery, etc. ).    But, I would like to get a good tripod for
>those extra crips shots!
>
>What do you folks use?     I have read many posts in the newsgroups
>about the Bogen 3001 legset and a good ball head ( Bogen, Slik, Linhof,
>Kaiser or Foba ).    This seems to be good for combo for stability,
>weight, ease of use and cost.      Any perferences for the ball head?
>Other legsets to consider?     The heaviest camera / lens combo I have
>would be the OM-2n + 300/4.5.
>
>Also, since money is kind of tight right now ... ( Oh, don't you just
>love the IRS! ), maybe one of you with some extra tripod gear would
>consider trading for some of my extra OM bodies and/or lenses ...?
>
>Let me know if interested and we can discuss offline.

Tripod and hiking don't go together very well, IMO. I use a Manfrotto 055B
and the hex-plate 168 head. Far too heavy for hiking in canyon country etc.
but very good for "American car trunk photography" as someone on this list
called it. Best thing is price, considering quality it's the best buy you
can get. Gitzo's are supposed to be even better but are priced much higher.
Note that the a Winder equipped OM-body together with the 300/4.5 interferes
with the hex-plate head, can be used though, if you attach the hex-plate in
a certain way.

Ulf Westerberg