[OM] Re: 2-x screens again

Subject: [OM] Re: 2-x screens again
From: Peter Leyssens <Peter.Leyssens@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 12:16:51 +0200
>> Is it really so that the image 'snaps' into focus with the 2-4 ?
Like
>> with the microprisms of the 1-13, but more subtle ?
>
>Yes, under good conditions the focus real snaps in, this is much better
>then any microprism spot, it´s in the same time subtle and more
>efective, because you are able to use the whole screen for focusing.
>Under bad, dark, low contrast, situations it´s not as good working as a
>splitscreen or even an conventional matescreen in combination with an
>bright lens. I tested this too with slow wideangles and I found out
that
>I need the splitscreen to focus under bad conditions, but I have to
>admit, that the new matescreen looks better with slow lenses.
>For me, the split- microprism spot of the 2-13 is less disturbing as
the
>one on the 1-13, because the new mattescreen has the same brigthness as
>the spot.

I don't think I'll be avoiding bad conditions.  I'll keep this in mind.
The problem is that I can't try before I buy it : no shop that I know of
has the screens in stock.

>> I like to be very
>> sure about my focus, because I use it extensively to determine my
DOF.

>I´m not shure if the new screen gives an correct impression of the DOF
>stoped down, because of his special structure. In my impression the
>bokeh of the old screens is better, because of the gradual shift to
>unsharpness, compared to the snapy, rapid shift with the new screens.

What I meant was not DOF preview.  I focus on the point closest to me
that I want in focus and I check the distance scale on the lens.  Then I
focus on the point that's the most far away and I check the distance
scale again.  In that way, I determine what diaphragm setting I'm going
to use.  Of course, this procedure is not the most accurate.  But it
helps if you can focus accurately.  At this moment I'm thinking of
playing safe and going for the 2-13.  Except if somebody can convince me
the split/prism part is really not necessary :-)

>Even this post sounds a little bit negativ, you should try the new
>screens, they are special (I love them) but not more expensive than an
>ordinary OM screen and definitly much cheaper than an Beattie or
>Brightscreen. My only wish to Olympus would be, that they produce an
>2-10 and an 2-3 with grid.

Here in Belgium I think they're exactly the same price as the ordinary
OM screens.

--
Peter Leyssens
Eonic Systems