Re: [OM] EOS

Subject: Re: [OM] EOS
From: Richard Schätzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 17:06:51 +0200
Ken Norton wrote:

> >I've heard a bit about the Canon EOS system. So I got a brochure or two
> from
> >a camera shop in Albury today. And I thought the OM-2SP was complex!
> >
> >This is a photo system I don't want (not that I ever thought of changing).
> >Manual? What's that?. If you don't make rockets for NASA, the camera looks
> >too complex for you. Hey, I think the OM-3Ti is a bit too complex. I had to
> >cuddle my OM-1n after reading the brochure. I never thought focus, aperture
> >and shutter speed were so complex.
>
> Ever try checking DOF in one of these wonder bricks?

I did, bad, you have to look into a specific corner of the finder, of
course posible just after focusing and then just for some seconds. You
have to be very disciplined, to obey your EOS.
General impression of the camera (EOS 5,50), plastic crap, only the
front mount is made of metal (what a luxury), the EOS 50 is silver
painted, waiting to be peeled of by your hand, to show the plastic.
I got the impresion, that many elements which are necesary for serious
photography, are much more dificult to use, than on older designs (DOF,
metering etc.).
The camera, I looked at, came bundled with an 28-80mm all plastic lens,
even the mount was plastic!
You could admire the image "quality" of this lens at:
http://photo.net/philg/photo/coolscan/index.html      (look at hkv2.jpg)

Incredible bad! I nearly couldn´t believe, that a company like Canon
dares to produce  such a sh**. BTW the 28-105mm is not much better (look
at sign.jpg). Hey we are in the end of the century and they produce
lense, I would have sad in the 70´s, nice try, but today, how should I
call this, you know it. Do they think all her customers are blind? (This
would be an explanation of auto everything)

Richard

P.S. I´m not a "plastic is evil" basher, the EOS-1 is an example of a
decent camera, but most talk, about modern plastic and there virtues, is
mostly started by camera companys to hide the real reason for using
plastics, it´s cheaper to produce. Realy high tech super strong plastics
are not used in this cameras, because it´s to expensiv.