Re: [OM] Focus Rubber collar gluing.

Subject: Re: [OM] Focus Rubber collar gluing.
From: Richard Schätzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 17:03:41 +0200
Thanks for the warning.

Ken Norton wrote:

> DEET will destroy
> the rubber focus rings on your lenses.  I've seen it do a wonderful job of
> dissolving and generally trashing the rubber rings after only a few minutes
> of use.

I´ve heard a similar story with sun tan lotion, Minox reported that they
had a problem with peeling off body paint at her new introduced Minox
35, the solution was that some skin lotion solved the black paint on the
camera, so they had to find a sun tan lotion proof paint (I would like
to know the lotion brand)

> BTW, Avon's Skin-so-soft works well as an average bug repellent (and doesn't
> contain DEET).  But for photography in the Boundary Waters of Minnisota, you
> might want to use the industrial strength stuff with XXX, TOXIC and maybe a
> radiation symbol on it.

I know, in Europe the Swedish produced stuff like these, called US622. I
think the production is now forbiden. I´m not shure but I think they
made it from the remains of chemical weapons found on the ground of the
baltic sea after WWI ;-) The effect was disastrous, not only to the
mosquitos ;-) Saddam would have been saved a lot of money, if he just
have bought a years production of this stuff ;-)

Aktiva komponenter:

2-etyl-1.3-hexandiol 41,9%
N.N-dietyloktanamid  22,0%
dimetylftalat         9,4%