Re: [OM] EOS

Subject: Re: [OM] EOS
From: "Ken Norton" <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 15:07:53 -0500
Someone else wrote:
>Incredible bad! I nearly couldn´t believe, that a company like Canon
dares to produce  such a sh**. BTW the 28-105mm is not much better (look
at sign.jpg). Hey we are in the end of the century and they produce
lense, I would have sad in the 70´s, nice try, but today, how should I
call this, you know it. Do they think all her customers are blind? (This
would be an explanation of auto everything)
<

Before we digress into a Canon or plastics bashing I must say that the image
quality from some of these new "plastic" lenses is awefully good.  They
definitely ain't the stuff of 10 years ago.  Infact, I'd say that the lack
of visable abberations or murkiness of these lenses is superior to many of
our cherished proven lenses of the 70's.  It just gripes me that you can't
get a true 2.8 lens anymore.

On the subject of plastic bodies... If the lenses are lightweight and no
serious strain is put on any mount or individual componant, why use metal?
Believe it or not, the bodies are actually pretty tough and modular by
design.  The internal structure of the bodies are honeycombed for strength
and further strengthened with composites in a couple places.  When dropped
the body is designed to sacrifice itself for the contents.  The modularity
of the Canon bodies is a brilliant design and has allowed them to introduce
new models on what seems a monthly basis.

Usability in some applications can be tough with these new cameras.
Checking DOF for instance isn't even available on most models.  How about
the lenses in MF mode?  Talk about a cheezy feel.  What about F-stop
markings on the lens barrel next to the distance scale?  Oh, you mean you
don't have a distance scale?

Part of the problem is that we are trying to use old techniques with new
technology.  When you get one of these new wonder-bricks it is vital that
you learn photography in a whole new way.  It is no longer technique
oriented, but technology oriented.  This is not a judgement call, just
describing the facts as I see them.  My IS-3 is great at certain types of
photography and I can do a few things with it I can't with any OM.  However
for many types of photography I know exactly what needs to be set and how to
set it without spending five minutes reprogramming the camera to make it
possible.  Time spent configuring the camera to take a picture might better
be used actually taking the picture.  But once set, the wonder-brick will
probably shoot circles around a retro-grouch camera.

Ken N.