Re: [OM] Two versions of 80mm macro?

Subject: Re: [OM] Two versions of 80mm macro?
From: Andre Goforth <goforth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 07:57:32 -0700
Cc: PCACala@xxxxxxx

Gary,

You wrote:

>> Can anyone tell the different in performance between these two lens?
>
>The optical cross sections of these are difference, so it wasn't just the
>addition of an auto diaphragm.  The latter design is more symmetrical, which
>in theory favors 1:1 performance.  I've never seen any published performance
>reviews.

According to Paul Farrar's guide these lens have the same optical elements,
namely 6E 4G. So I wonder if there is any difference in performance unless
multicoating was added.

If you were using the 80mm without the auto diaghragm with auto tubes or
the telescopic auto tube 65-116 then the only way to focus on the subject
would be to move the camera back and forth?

Andre

San Carlos, CA