Re: [OM] Zuiko 300/4.5 question

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 300/4.5 question
From: Soenke Jansen <SoJa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 18:10:33 +0200
Karjalainen_Alpo_at_buscom@xxxxxxxx wrote:

>      A local Camera store has used Zuiko 300/4.5 for $245.

Goodness, at that price don't hesitate, buy it if it isn't entirely
knocked out of shape!
I've been looking for this lens for some months now, and the lowest
offers here in Hamburg started at around
US$ 425. So in case You're not interested, I'd be!

>      - Does anyone have opinion or test results on this lens' performance
>      (MTF graphs would be nice).
>      - Is it single or multi coated. Front element does seem to reflect
>      yellow/orange light. Does it say it is a single coated ?

They seem to be multicoated since 1982 (see
http://www.astro.wellesley.edu/lhawkins/photo/multicoat.txt).
Gary Schloss (though himself not an ardent defender of 'mulicoatarism')
wrote a while ago:
'Hey, there is little cause for alarm. As someone had observed, when
Olympus started using the new multi-coating formula, it dropped the
designation x.Zuiko, where: x = number of elements, AND also marked
the new batches with "MC", to differentiate them from the existing
non-MC inventories. Eventually all Zuiko lens production turned MC,
and the MC moniker was dropped.'

Hope this helps,
Soenke, Hamburg