Re: [OM] OM-2S Curtain String (was Problem: Can You Help Me?)

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-2S Curtain String (was Problem: Can You Help Me?)
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 20:22:20 -0500
At 03:29 PM 4/25/1998 -0700, Winsor wrote:

-- many snips of discussion about weird half moon ghost with 35-70 lens --

>It seems to me that if it were something with the lens the shadow would
>focus in the viewfinder as well as at the film plane. Can you see it in the
>viewfinder? If you can, why don't you try unlatching the suspect lens and
>rotating the whole lens as if you were taking it off, but looking through
>the viewfinder all the while. If the shadow rotates with the lens barrel it
>would seem to be an artifact of the lens.
>
>If you can not see it through the viewfinder I really think it is something
>between the mirror and the film plane. As an experiment I took a single
>strand of hair(from my head) and put it across the back a lens before
>bayonetting it on my OM1n to see whether I could see it in the viewfinder.
>My plan did not work because the strand moved inside the mirror box and
>even though I could see its shadow clearly in the viewfinder it took me a
>devil of a time to find the actual strand. Very difficult to see a single
>fine dark hair in a dark little box with lots of crannies. I would use good
>light, magnification, brush, compressed air to see what I could remove.

Very good suggestions, of course. I went at it again, but the camera is
really clean, the shutter seems quite unfrayed. I can't see anything
inappropriate in the viewfinder.

I guess I will attribute the problem to this specific lens, since it doesn't
happen very often anyway, and when it does only with this one lens and with
polarizer (I think).  I know quite a bit empirically about light, but of the
physics of light I know about as much as you could, well, put in your eye.
It is uncanny how the pattern resembles the smeary spot on the back of the
lens. But I had understood that light passes through a lens to the film more
or less well depending up the absence of flaws, it does not project those
flaws per se to the film.  It would seem that the problem would have to be
*behind* the lens.

I use the 35-70 mainly for quick and dirty hand-held shooting and shoots
involving strenuous hiking where light gear is important and photography is
perhaps secondary. I guess until the ghost appears with my other lenses, I
won't worry about it.

Thanks for your thoughts, Winsor.

Joel