Re: [OM] New suggestion for FAQ/Guide

Subject: Re: [OM] New suggestion for FAQ/Guide
From: Kennedy <rkm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 1998 18:41:16 +0100
In article , Thomas H. Hogan <flzhgn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes
>Yes, Kennedy! That explains it for me ! I was waiting for you to jump in
>on this one.   I was using a 77mm linear polarizer on my 500mm reflex
>(cat)
>lens and the OM2S on Auto.  The light meter reading indicated a wasted
>shot
>but the exposure was perfect in regard to the amount of light.
>
>Now, let me ask you this:  I have several 55mm linear polarizers and one
>circular polarizer.  I'd like to use them as Neutral Density filters for
>super long exposures.
>
>Would placing the circular polarizer next to the lens front element be
>the best way to get accurate light meter indications and OTF exposure?
>
>Any hints? Anyone?

Sorry about taking so long to get back to you on this one Thomas -
problems with my computer upgrade!!

Anyway, the answer is yes - put the circular polariser on the lens and
any other polariser in front of it.  The one in front will polarise the
scene giving the effect you want, the circular polariser behind it will
reduce the intensity by the desired amount, just like an infinitely
variable ND filter, and will ensure that the meter reading is correct.
--
Kennedy
Python Philosophers         (replace 'nospam' with 'kennedym' when replying)