Re: [OM] Hummingbird photography

Subject: Re: [OM] Hummingbird photography
From: "Thomas H. Hogan" <flzhgn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 1998 23:16:32 -0700
Dear Lee,

Here are some tips:
        1. Get someone to set up a feeder for you in advance.
           (one part white granulated sugar to four parts water (boiled))

        2. Place the feeder in an area that is shaded from the sun (East side
of house)
           High enough that the birds are out of harms (cats) way but
low enough for the
           camera on a tripod.

        3. Use a white reflector.  I use a 2ft X 3ft piece of foam core board.

        4. The trick for stop action of the wings is to use the thyristor
control
           in the flash units by facing pairs of flash units
perpendicular to each other
           so that they cut each other off with the shortest flash
duration (1/40,000 sec)

        5. If you have a flash that does not have thyristor control you can use
it to illuminate
           the background reflector card (white is best)if it does not
over power the other
           thyristor controlled units. Slave strobe units (Wein) are
really handy.

        5.5 A sandbag and some bungy cords will help stabilize a tripod
that has a reflector
            extra tripods are handy for flash units as are clamps.

        6. A 200 mm lens on 25mm extension works well for me but I also like to
use a 50mm or
           the 200mm f4 on a Vivitar zoom extension TC

        7. For remote photos an air bulb shutter release will be very handy
even if you
           have a motor drive!

     Have fun !

        Hank Hogan <http://www.netcom.com~flzhgn/hek2.htm>

R. Lee Hawkins wrote:

> Hi all:
> I'm heading to NC for a week, and am planning to do some hummingbird
> photography.  I know some here have experience at it.  Any
> tips/hints/gotchas?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Cheers,
> --Lee

Hank Hogan --

BTW,  I'm looking for a job as a biological science research
    technician.  If you know of anyone who might need a technician
    with my skills (see resume on my home page) please let me know.
--
Thomas ?Hank? Hogan
Biologist, Photographer, Web Designer