Re: [OM] Hummingbird photography

Subject: Re: [OM] Hummingbird photography
From: "R. Lee Hawkins" <lhawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 14:42:09 -0400
Cc: lhawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
In your message dated: Sun, 26 Apr 1998 23:16:32 PDT you write:
>Dear Lee,
>
>Here are some tips:
>       1. Get someone to set up a feeder for you in advance. =20
>          (one part white granulated sugar to four parts water (boiled))
>
>       2. Place the feeder in an area that is shaded from the sun (East side
>of house)
>           High enough that the birds are out of harms (cats) way but
>low enough for the
>           camera on a tripod.=20

Already taken care of, thanks to Mom.  She's been watching these
hummingbirds outside her dining room window for over 10 years now, so
these pics are as much for her as for me :)

>       3. Use a white reflector.  I use a 2ft X 3ft piece of foam core board.

Easy enough to do.  There is a wall immediately behind the feeder.

>       4. The trick for stop action of the wings is to use the thyristor
>control
>           in the flash units by facing pairs of flash units
>perpendicular to each other
>           so that they cut each other off with the shortest flash
>duration (1/40,000 sec)

To me, "perpendicular" means this:

        hummer <--------- Flash
        ^

Is this really what you mean, or do you mean:

   Flash ------->  Hummer  <--------- Flash

Also, the OM won't fire the flash if the shutter speed is > 1/60th.
Won't I get considerable blur?  Or do hummers come out at night?  Or is
the blur so fast that it won't be noticeable?

>       5. If you have a flash that does not have thyristor control you can use
>it to illuminate
>           the background reflector card (white is best)if it does not
>over power the other
>           thyristor controlled units. Slave strobe units (Wein) are
>really handy.

Not a problem, they're all T32's

>        5.5 A sandbag and some bungy cords will help stabilize a tripod
>that has a reflector=20
>            extra tripods are handy for flash units as are clamps.

I'll just tack the reflector to the wall :)

>       6. A 200 mm lens on 25mm extension works well for me but I also like to
>use a 50mm or
>           the 200mm f4 on a Vivitar zoom extension TC=20

Great, already got both of those.

>       7. For remote photos an air bulb shutter release will be very handy
>even if you=20
>          have a motor drive!

I'll use my M.Remote Cord w/gigantic extension connected to my Winder
II.

Here's an ASCII representation of what I have in mind:

                                                        /
                                                       /
                                                      /|
       Camera w/ Flash          Flash off to side   * || l
              ---                         -         F ||
              | |                        |-|        e ||
              ---                         -         e ^|
               |                          |         d R|
              / \                         |         e e|
             /   \                        |         r f|
 --------------------------------         |           l|
   |     Table               |           / \          e|
                    Deck

How does this setup look?  I assume the flashes should be set to normal
auto to get the quickest discharge?

Cheers,
--Lee