[OM] San Diego Zoo and More!

Subject: [OM] San Diego Zoo and More!
From: "R. Wastell" <rrw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 17:58:13 -0800
        Thanks to all who responded; this is just what I was looking for.

        I did wonder about the Wild Animal Park; I will check it out more
thoroughly. We are planning to stay away from I-5 on the trip north and stick
to 1 or 101 whenever possible; so I will heed the advice to call ahead about
road conditions.

        I don't anticipate too much "kid" trouble. My daughter is 15 and 3
years ago we drove from Juneau to southern Missouri and back. We included stops
in Robson, Jasper, Glacier, Yellowstone, Custer and Olympic parks among others.
We put about 7000 miles on the odometer in a month not including the 400 miles
by Alaska Marine Highway ferry to get to and from the road. I think she can
handle a shorter trip up the coast, especially after Disneyland and Six Flags.

        I am looking forward to seeing the coast again. I lived in Coos Bay,
Oregon for a short time over 20 years ago and have many fond memories of the
area.

        On a more Olympus note; regarding the hummingbird thread, I also have
used a 200 f4 with 25mm extension tube. I used available light and of course
the wings were invisible; but the bodies were nice when I could catch them at
the flowers (hanging baskets of fuschias). To paraphrase Lars, I got several
pictures of flowers that had been emptied by beautiful hummingbirds.

Thanks again,

Bob