[OM] - OM4 blues, advice needed.

Subject: [OM] - OM4 blues, advice needed.
From: "Tony D'Alfonso" <dalfonso@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 16:57:15 +1000
Dear John and other Zuikophobes,

I am new to this list and the topic I want to discuss is probably old hat,
but here goes.

I have an OM2N  which I consider to be the best photographic instrument
ever made. I bought one soon after they were released and it has NEVER let
me down, and even one of my die hard Canon friends casts envious eyes upon
it !

When the OM4 was released I was in the USA and rushed out and purchased one
and have been very happy with it except for a battery drain problem.
Sometimes, the camera will lock up half way through a film and the only way
to restore it to normal is to stick it in a light-tight bag and change the
batteries. I use the better batteries, SR 44's I think, so I know it is not
related to battery types.

I am told this was common with the first OM4 models & was corrected in the
OM4 T (Ti ) models.

Is this true, or am I alone with this problem ?

Can anyone tell me the easiest way to correct this, as the Olympus
distributors in Australia do not even acknowledge there is a problem with
battery drain. ?

I am told one way to fix it is to replace the circuit board (very
expensive) or purchase a beaten up OM 4 and transplant its electronics into
my OM4, on the assumption that a well used OM4 does not have a battery
drain problem.

I emailed Olympus in Japan a year ago about it but had no response at all
which is disappointing as  I have been an Olympus customer for over 25
years.

I would appreciate responses from the engineering/electronically minded or
from others who have experienced and overcome this problem, especially if
you live in Melbourne, Australia.

Cheers,

Tony.