Re: [OM] Hummingbird photography

Subject: Re: [OM] Hummingbird photography
From: VELUWEH@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 06:53:04 -0400
>4. The trick for stop action of the wings is to use the thyristor
>controlin the flash units by facing pairs of flash units
>perpendicular to each other so that they cut each other off with
>the shortest flash duration (1/40,000 sec)
>To me, "perpendicular" means this:
>hummer <--------- Flash
>       ^
>Is this really what you mean, or do you mean:
>Flash ------->  Hummer  <--------- Flash
>Also, the OM won't fire the flash if the shutter speed is > 1/60th.
>Won't I get considerable blur?  Or do hummers come out at night?  Or is
>the blur so fast that it won't be noticeable?

One way to *guarantee* you use a flash speed of 1/40000 sec (which
simulates a shutter speed of 1/40000 sec - maybe just fast enough to
stop Hummingbird wings in action), is to use a Metz hammer flash (like
the 45 CT-1) in combination with a Metz Mecamat 45-46 external sensor,
in manual mode. This manual mode has a 7-step scale from 1/300 to
1/40000 sec. When you close down the aperture far enough to firmly
reduce or even eliminate the influence of available light, it will not
or barely produce a ghost image caused by this confounded long 1/60
synchro time, although this ghost image may also produce an artistic
sense of motion. I know it's blaspheme to attach any non-Olympus stuff
to your beloved OM, but sometimes circumstances may force you to do
so...

Hans