[OM] TTL versus OTF

Subject: [OM] TTL versus OTF
From: "Per Nordenberg" <per.nordenberg@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 13:41:28 +0200
Please excuse me for a most probably very dumb question, but could anyone
please elaborate on the difference between the achronyms TTL and OTF? I think I
know what they stand for, TTL meaning Through The Lens and OTF is Off The Film.
Is that correct? Are they essentially the same thing? I always thought TTL was
a description of light measuring during flash operation, i.e. light is measured
through the lens instead of using a separate sensor in the flash itself. OTF on
the other hand should be light measuring during auto exposure, i.e. light is
measured off the film surface during the exposure. Is it always OTF as well
when a camera is said to have TTL operation? Please bear with me...

Per Nordenberg